2023-2024 Thalassemia Patient Incentive Program Application
The Cooley’s Anemia Foundation sponsors incentive awards for thalassemia patients to further their education and career goals. These awards will be given in March, 2024. The purpose of these Incentive Awards is to inspire patients to further their education and career goals and to help them live positively with thalassemia.
Applicant must be registered with the Cooley’s Anemia Foundation. If you are unsure if you are registered, please contact CAF at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicant must be a permanent resident of the United States.
Applicant must submit an official bursar receipt and a copy of a class registration for the fall, 2023 and/or spring, 2024. This must include all classes applicant is currently enrolled in as well as the cost for the semester.
Applicant must submit a copy of the course requirements necessary for the certificate or degree sought as outlined by the institution.
- Applicant must submit a double-spaced, typed, 250-word essay explaining his/her goals. Include a brief description of applicant, information on the educational program or degree sought and future goals after completing the degree or program.
Some suggested topic guidelines for the essay are listed below. Applicants are NOT required to use these topics; they are provided merely as a guide:
- What is your major and why did you select it? What do you plan to do with this education after graduation? Have you interned in this field? If yes, tell us about your interning experience.
- What do you feel is important for doctors and researchers to focus on in caring for/treating thalassemia patients? How has thalassemia impacted your life? What messages do you want the public/laymen to know about your experience? How/what would you do to get that message out?
- Do you volunteer for a cause/organization? What interests you about this cause? What do you do for the cause/organization? How has your volunteerism changed your views, goals and ideas? How do you feel you can improve the organization?
The complete application (including essay and requested support material) must be received by the Cooley’s Anemia Foundation by February 9, 2024. No extensions will be granted. Award recipients will be notified and disbursed in March, 2024.
Please note: It is the goal of The Cooley’s Anemia Foundation to fund all complete, eligible applications received by February 9, 2024. However, in the event that the number of applicants exceeds the amount of funding available for these Incentive Awards, the Foundation reserves the right to make adjustments as necessary in the number of awards given and/or the level of funding for each successful applicant.
The incentive awards will be given out as follows:
- $2,000 will be awarded to students enrolled in Doctorate programs. Patients may receive two postgraduate level awards over the course of their studies.
- $1,500 will be awarded to students enrolled in Master degree programs. Patients may receive two graduate level awards over the course of their studies.
- $1,000 will be awarded to students entering or continuing full time studies towards a Baccalaureate degree. Patients may receive four undergraduate level awards over the course of their studies.
- $750 will be awarded to students entering or continuing full time studies towards an Associate degree. These are limited to two per applicant over the course of his/her pursuit of an Associates degree.
- $500 will be awarded to students enrolled in certificate programs lasting for one year or longer. These awards are limited to two per applicant.
- $250 will be awarded to students enrolling in six-month certificate programs or vocational training programs. These awards are limited to two per applicant.
Please note: the amount of your award cannot exceed the cost of your tuition or any full scholarships you may have received.
For more information, email email@example.com.