One Way to Support CAF: Consider a Gift of Shares of Appreciated Stock
November 6, 2017 – Here’s a way to be smarter in the way you support us and perhaps give us even more. And…it’s one that has more benefits for you! We’re talking about donating appreciated shares of stock.
This may be the best time ever to consider such a gift. Almost all stocks have appreciated in this all-time-high stock market. Hopefully you are among the millions of Americans who have realized such gains and are now in a position to help Cooley’s Anemia Foundation with a donation of appreciated stock!
Here are the basic facts about donating appreciated shares of stock:
- You must have owned the shares for more than one year and their value has to have appreciated over the time you owned them.
- If you itemize deductions on your income taxes, you can take a charitable deduction for the fair market value of the stock shares on the day you donate them.
- You do not have to pay capital gains taxes on the increased value of the shares since you bought them. (You would have to pay capital gains taxes if you sold the shares and gave the proceeds to Cooley’s Anemia Foundation.)
And here is the information you need to have your broker donate shares of stock to Cooley’s Anemia Foundation:
- Ask your broker to donate through Morgan Stanley
- If Sending Electronically:
DTC Number: 0015
FBO Cooley’s Anemia Foundation
A/C Number 409-108690-172
- Contact Ali Girardi (203) 625-4845, Girardi@morganstanley.com