3rd Pan American Thalassemia Conference in May
March 20, 2010 – The 3rd Pan American Thalassemia Conference is scheduled for May 6-7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Organized by Abrasta and Fundatal, thalassemia societies from Brazil and Argentina respectively, the Conference will focus on the following themes:
- Multicenter collaboration in the Americas,
- Development of infrastructure to advance clinical research,
- Public policy strategies to improve access to clinical care for patients from minority populations,
- Review of models of patient-centered care, and
- Role of advocacy groups in promoting advancement in clinical care.
Which of the following should a person with hemoglobin H disease (a form of alpha thalassemia) avoid?
B. Fava Beans
C. Iron Supplements
D. All of the above
Answer: D. All of the above products can cause anemia to worsen in a person with hemoglobin H disease. (Acetaminophen is safe as an alternative to aspirin.)
For more information about hemoglobin H, click here.
The Conference will also present updates on transfusion therapy, iron chelation therapy, MRI measures of iron overload, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, management of bone and endocrine complications, and diagnosis and management of fertility problems.
For more information, click here.